World of Hyatt does a great job of partnering with members that may give members many more opportunities to earn and redeem points. For example, Hyatt has partnerships with small luxury hotels in the world, Lindblad Expeditions, American Airlines, and others.
I would argue that World of Hyatt’s most valuable partnership with MGM M life Rewards is in Las Vegas. This partnership dates back to 2013 – not only was this the first hotel loyalty collaboration of its kind in Las Vegas, but I think it’s the best to date. In this post I wanted to talk a little bit about how exactly this works.
World of Hyatt members enjoy discounts at MGM hotels
World of Hyatt and MGM M life have a phenomenal collaboration that enables World of Hyatt members to earn and redeem points on over a dozen additional Las Vegas hotels. In addition, there are options for status customization so that you get even more value for your hotel stays.
Let’s take a look at the details of how this works – which hotels participate, how you can earn and redeem points, and what the status benefits look like.
Which MGM hotels are part of the Hyatt partnership?
The following MGM Las Vegas properties are part of the Hyatt partnership so you can earn and redeem points:
- Mandalay Bay
- MGM Grand
- Monte Carlo
- New York, New York
- Park MGM
- The mirage
- The signature at MGM Grand
NoMad Las Vegas
Earn World of Hyatt points at MGM hotels
World of Hyatt points earning ratios at MGM hotels are excellent and are the same as what you would earn if you stayed at a Hyatt hotel:
- World of Hyatt members earn five basis points for every dollar spent on MGM real estate
- World of Hyatt members receive their standard Elite Reward Points for eligible spending at MGM hotels (Discoverist members receive a 10% bonus, Explorist members receive a 20% bonus, and Globalist members receive a 30% bonus) .
- MGM stays generally count toward World of Hyatt’s worldwide promotions, and expenses also qualify for World of Hyatt’s lifetime Globalist status
There are a few other things to consider when trying to earn World of Hyatt points at MGM homes:
- To earn points, you must book either directly through MGM or through Hyatt. Third-party bookings are generally not eligible to earn points
- When you check-in, notify the receptionist of your wish to earn World of Hyatt points and include both your World of Hyatt and MGM M life numbers (yes, you must provide both, although the Membership in both programs is free and easy).
- While World of Hyatt credit card (Review) offers 4x World of Hyatt points for Hyatt stays. This does not apply to MGM hotels. You should therefore use a different card for your hotel expenses
- You can also earn World of Hyatt points for incidental expenses at MGM hotels, up to $ 5,000 per stay. If you are staying at MGM accommodation, you can usually bill your room for incidental expenses from each participating MGM accommodation. This is a great way to earn more World of Hyatt points
Luxor Las Vegas
Redeem World of Hyatt points for MGM items
You can redeem World of Hyatt points and free night certificates for stays at MGM hotels. Each hotel falls into one of the standard Hyatt award tiers:
All MGM objects are somewhere between Category 3 (12,000 points per night) and Category 6 (25,000 points per night).
Personally, I value World of Hyatt points at 1.5 cents each, so I would always recommend comparing the cost of cash and the cost of redeeming points as this may not always be good deal. This applies in particular to stays outside of the rush hour, e.g. B. on weekdays.
There are a few more things to consider when redeeming Hyatt points for MGM redemptions:
- While World of Hyatt waives resort fees when redeeming points at Hyatt hotels, MGM hotels do not and all members (including globalists) must continue to pay resort fees
- You cannot redeem points for suites or premium rooms at MGM hotels, and you cannot use confirmed suite upgrade awards to secure a suite upgrade
- Unlike stays at Hyatt hotels, some blackout dates apply to reward redemption
Mandalay Bay and Delano Las Vegas
Earn World of Hyatt Elite Nights at MGM Hotels
Whether paying for cash or redeeming points, World of Hyatt members can earn Elite Nights on MGM stays that have their World of Hyatt account linked. Elite nights earned in this way count towards both Status and the Milestone Rewards program.
MGM Grand Las Vegas
Get a status match with MGM M life
World of Hyatt members can adjust status to the life of MGM M so they can enjoy additional perks for stays at MGM hotels. This is how status assignments are made between programs:
- World of Hyatt members receive M life Sapphire
- World of Hyatt Discoverist members receive M life Pearl
- World of Hyatt Explorist & Globalist members receive M life Gold
World of Hyatt members can match status as many times as they want – you’ll have to reapply at the end of the membership year, but that’s a fairly straightforward process.
You can request a MGM M-Life Status Match here and learn more about the benefits of the M-Life Elite here.
These Elite Perks replace the standard World of Hyatt Elite Perks that you would receive as M-Life Perks are recognized at MGM Properties. Don’t get too excited about the benefits here. The benefits for M life Gold members include, for example:
- Access to a priority check-in queue
- Room upgrades subject to availability, excluding suites
- Priority reservations for dining and entertainment
- Room discounts
Bellagio Las Vegas
The Hyatt and MGM collaboration in Las Vegas remains the most comprehensive hotel partnership of its kind we’ve seen on the Strip. World of Hyatt members can earn and redeem points at prices similar to Hyatt stays, and there are also some mutual elite perks.
In the past when I traveled to Las Vegas, this collaboration made me choose to always stay at MGM. In fairness, it’s been a couple of years, and Las Vegas is a place I particularly don’t want to go back to during this time.
Have you ever used the Hyatt & MGM partnership in Las Vegas? If so, how was your experience?