No kidding, when I first saw this I assumed it was something from The Onion, but no. It’s real and I can’t make up my mind if it’s the best or the worst that has ever happened to an airport.
The Shot Bar at SEA Basics
The Shot Bar at SEA has just opened and is the first walk-in shot bar at Seattle-Tacoma Airport. The shot bar in particular is a pop-up in the Rel’Lish Burger Lounge in Concourse B at the airport. There’s a walk-in counter and you can order either a single shot ($ 7) or a double shot ($ 10). It’s served in a 2-ounce solo mug, just like you used to do at college parties (I can’t talk to it because I was very busy at the time).
Chilled spirits include Brown Sugar Bourbon, Fireball, Hornitos Crystalino Tequila, Ketel One Botanical Cucumber Vodka, and Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey.
Drinks must be consumed directly at the counter, as you are not allowed to roam the terminal with alcohol. Cutting off people is at the bartender’s discretion.
Here’s what Chef Kathy Casey, who is behind this concept, had to say:
“Due to physical distancing protocols, passengers have limited seating for cocktails at the airport, but travelers’ interest in adult libations remains high. SHOT BAR addresses this in an entertaining and groundbreaking way! Besides, there is nothing better than a quick start to your vacation. “
The Director of Commercial Management at Seattle-Tacoma Airport was also positive about the concept:
“2020 was difficult for our airport and the companies here because of the pandemic and its impact on travel. It’s exciting to use innovations like Shot Bar to keep delivering positive experiences for travelers on their trip. “
The Shot Bar at SEA
Best idea ever or worst idea ever?
First off, we can all agree that the restaurant business, and the airport restaurant business in particular, has been hard hit during the pandemic. So this is an innovative concept that should allow a (probably difficult) company to generate significant sales.
Additionally, I have a couple of different thoughts:
- I love this concept and I think it’s so fun. Unfortunately, I also realize that not everyone is fun after a few drinks and / or knows their limits
- In theory, this is a more coronavirus-friendly way to have an adult drink as you only briefly remove your mask rather than potentially sitting at a bar for long periods of time with your mask off
- I am a bit surprised that the airport has no objection to this concept, as something tells me that as a result there will be some passengers who are misbehaving
- While this is the first walk-in shot bar, I’ve always loved the Portland Airport distillery which had some great drinks
- Will this place join the Priority Pass? I would think a Priority Pass “swipe” should give you two double shots, right? 😉
There is a liquor distillery at Portland Airport
The Shot Bar in SEA is now open. So, if you’re at least 21 years old and can take a shot or two without acting like a complete idiot, be sure to check this out the next time you pass through Seattle-Tacoma Airport. With a double shot of tequila, it might seem almost pleasant to board an American Airlines plane with the “Oasis” configuration?
What do you think of the new walk-in shot bar at Seattle Airport? Best or worst idea ever? I have a feeling the answers here are going to be pretty polarizing …
(Tip of the hat closed @EricaToelle)