This is a reminder that Marriott Bonvoy’s first global advertisement for 2021 launches today. Marriott’s previous worldwide advertising ended in November 2020.
We learned of the details of this promotion back in January when positive changes to the Marriott Bonvoy program were announced, including the restoration of Elite Warranties.
Marriott Promo: Double Points and Double Elite Nights
Bonvoy members can sign up for the Marriott Better Two-gether promotion, which offers double Bonvoy points and double elite nights for stays of two nights or more::
- The promotion is valid for stays between February 16 and April 27, 2021, regardless of when they were booked
- Registration is required prior to your first eligible stay. Registration ends on April 13, 2021
- The promotion begins with your first stay
- Only paid stays will qualify for this promotion, so award stays do not qualify
- There is no limit to the number of bonus points you can earn
- Bonus Elite Nights will be published 3-7 business days after the qualifying night
- All hotels worldwide take part
St. Regis Bora Bora
How valuable is this Bonvoy promotion?
This is for sure the most lucrative promotion we’ve seen from Marriott Bonvoy in a while:
- Bonvoy members can earn 5x bonus points for every dollar spent in the Element, Residence Inn and TownePlace suites
- Bonvoy members can earn 10x bonus points for every dollar spent with all other brands
I estimate Bonvoy points to be 0.7 cents each. To me, that translates to an incremental return of 3.5% to 7% on Marriott spend.
The Bonus Elite Nights should also help make it even easier to earn status at Marriott Bonvoy in 2021, although the truth is that it will be quite easy:
For example, as a Titanium member with both of the above cards, I’ll start 2021 with 68 Elite Nights. Unless I’m aiming for Ambassador status (which requires $ 14,000 worth of spending in 2021), I don’t need the Double Elite Nights much.
Earn normal Marriott Bonvoy points
Without considering this promotion, Marriott Bonvoy members typically earn:
- 10x Bonvoy Points for every dollar spent on most brands
- 5x Bonvoy Points for every dollar spent on Element, Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites
Then there are elite bonuses:
- Silver Elite members receive 10% bonus points
- Gold Elite members receive 25% bonus points
- Platinum Elite members receive 50% bonus points
- Titanium Elite & Ambassador Elite members receive 75% bonus points
The points above do not include the points you can earn for hotel credit card spending:
As a Titanium member with a co-branded credit card, I could earn 33.5x Bonvoy Points for every dollar spent. With a rating of 0.7 cents per point, this equates to a solid return of ~ 24% on hotel expenses.
Stack this with targeted Marriott Bonvoy promos
In addition to this global promotion, Marriott also has some targeted promotions. You should check the “Promotions” section of your account to see what you are entitled to. For example, I have a targeted promotion for up to 22,500 Bonvoy bonus points after two paid stays.
Marriott Bonvoy launched its first major global promotion in 2021 for which members must register. With this promotion, members can earn Double Points and Double Elite Nights for stays of two or more nights this spring. Earning an additional 5-10x points for every dollar spent plus Bonus Elite Nights is quite generous.
Marriott Bonvoy status should be pretty easy to earn in 2021, and it’s nice to see that Marriott has something very compelling to offer.
What do you think of Marriott Bonvoy’s first global promotion in 2021?