Here’s a sign that things are moving in the right direction … or something.
New York ends domestic travel quarantine
Effective April 1, 2021, New York will lift its quarantine requirement for domestic travelers. This applies to both visitors to New York and New Yorkers returning home. Some things to keep in mind about this updated policy:
- The NYS Department of Health continues to recommend quarantine after domestic travel as an extra precaution, but it is not required
- Mandatory quarantine continues to apply to incoming international travelers (who are not from a US state or territory).
- All travelers must continue to complete the Traveler Health Form upon arrival in the state and monitor symptoms daily for 14 days
- All travelers must self-isolate when symptoms occur
This policy change was announced today by Governor Andrew Cuomo, who said:
“New Yorkers have shown strength and perseverance throughout this pandemic, and it shows in the numbers that continue to decline every day. As we work to further expand our vaccination infrastructure and get more firearms, we are making significant strides in gaining the gap between infection rate and vaccination rate so that we can open new sectors of the economy and begin our transition to a new normal in a world beyond Pandemic. As part of this transition, quarantine for domestic travelers is no longer required, but is still recommended as an additional precautionary measure. “
New York’s current quarantine policy
New York initially introduced a quarantine requirement for travel in the summer of 2020, although the policy has changed several times since then. Here is New York’s current quarantine requirement, which runs through March 31:
- Travelers must be quarantined for 10 days or travelers must be quarantined for four days, then tested and released upon receiving a negative result
- Travelers from Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania are not subject to this rule
- Those who have been fully vaccinated in the past 90 days are not subject to this rule
While New York’s quarantine requirement has long been on paper, in reality it hasn’t been properly enforced, unlike Hawaii’s testing and quarantine policy, which is closely monitored.
New York will end its domestic quarantine requirement on April 1, 2021. Personally, I am glad that this is finally being lifted as it shows how much we are moving in the right direction. Either that, or it just shows that New York is no longer doing any better than the rest of the country, as the state has seen massive spikes in some cases over the past few months.
Beyond that, however, I am glad to see that this directive has changed due to its poor enforcement, which essentially penalizes those who tried to abide by the rules and in no way penalizes those who broke the rules.
What do you think of New York if it lifts its domestic quarantine requirement?