World of Hyatt Globalist status offers many great benefits. In this post, I wanted to talk about one of the “softer” benefits of Hyatt status, which is the “My Hyatt Concierge” benefit. How do you earn it and how valuable is it?
How do you access a Hyatt Concierge?
With World of Hyatt, you will receive some perks just to qualify for a specific tier, while you will receive other perks under the Milestone Rewards program. The “My Hyatt Concierge” benefit falls into the latter category:
- A Hyatt Concierge is earned when you earn 60 elite nights or 100,000 basis points in a calendar year, and you get the benefit indefinitely when you are a lifelong globalist member. If you get Globalist status in any other way, including using the elite reduced requirements for 2021, you will not get it
- Once you qualify, a Hyatt Concierge representative will get back to you with their contact information within four weeks. When the program was first launched, it actually took that long to get in touch, although hopefully it will be faster in the meantime as four weeks is a ridiculous wait
- Note that all Globalist members (regardless of how they qualify) will have access to a dedicated phone number with shorter hold times and (hopefully) better service. However, this is different from this benefit
Globalist members receive a Hyatt Concierge through the Milestone Rewards program
How valuable is a Hyatt Concierge?
While I had Top Tier status with Hyatt for over a decade, the My Hyatt Concierge program wasn’t introduced until 2017 with the launch of the World of Hyatt program (this was not a feature of the old Hyatt Gold pass program). Having now had several years to experience this benefit, I thought I would share my thoughts on the overall value of this service.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
- As with anything in customer service, your experience may depend on who has been assigned to you as the Hyatt Concierge
- I’m not someone who would want a Hyatt concierge to make all kinds of special hotel inquiries for me. I don’t expect him to get the Presidential Suite upgrade and waive the pet giraffe fee for me, etc .; I know what I’m eligible for under the World of Hyatt program and I’m only looking for them to take advantage of these benefits
What was my experience in this regard and how did I find the Hyatt Concierge Service useful?
- The Hyatt Concierge appointed for me is an absolutely lovely and helpful person. She is competent, very responsive and always solves what I ask for help without my having to follow up
- When I look at my email history with her, I’ve contacted her a total of eleven times since the beginning of 2018. I mainly contacted them when points and / or elite nights were not posted properly. I contacted them a couple of times when I was having issues with a refund and I contacted them a couple of times to help apply for Suite Upgrade Awards
I’ve found the service to be useful every time I’ve used it, and I’ve also been positively impressed with the friendliness and expertise of the Hyatt Concierge assigned to me.
That being said, I’ve generally found that I’m likely to get in touch @ HyattConcierge about as much on Twitter as I reach my dedicated contact. Why?
- Twitter customer service is available 24/7, while your Hyatt Concierge understandably needs to be asleep (apparently, the Hyatt Concierge team keep an eye on the inboxes when someone is out of the office, but not around the clock).
- For time-sensitive things such as applying for a suite upgrade price or booking a guest of honor in a hotel with limited availability, it makes sense to be able to do things immediately
- In these time sensitive situations, I usually go the Twitter route because the responses are usually so quick
A Hyatt Concierge can assist with booking a Guest of Honor
How does this compare to the Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Service?
Marriott Bonvoy’s premier ambassador status requires 100 elite nights plus $ 20,000 per year (this year the spending requirement was reduced to $ 14,000). One of the main benefits of the Marriott Ambassador is that you will be named an Ambassador. This is a similar concept to the My Hyatt Concierge.
I was a member of the Marriott Ambassador until early 2020. How do the two services compare?
- I had an absolutely incredible ambassador who was constantly proactive in handling my reservations, leaving personalized notes for me in my room, and often proactively reaching out to hotels for upgrades
- That being said, the quality of Marriott Ambassadors varies greatly, with some being fantastic and others offering very little value
I think the Marriott Ambassador program is supposed to be a little more personal and proactive in terms of service, and that’s completely fair enough given the higher demands. In practice, however, this has not always been the case.
My Marriott ambassador left me sweet notes on occasion
The “My Hyatt Concierge” function is only available to globalist members who earn 60 elite nights or 100,000 basis points in a calendar year. In this way, you will have a dedicated contact person at Hyatt who can help you with almost any questions relating to your reservations.
Overall, I have had good experiences with this service and found the service to be friendly and competent. That being said, I’m not sure if it is worth putting in more effort to get this advantage. That’s simply because @HyattConcierge on Twitter is great too and can often help out with inquiries very quickly and this service is open to everyone.
What was your experience once you had access to and used the My Hyatt Concierge service?