There are four co-branded American Express Hilton cards with annual fees ranging from $ 0 to $ 450. Three of these cards offer the opportunity to earn one (or more) free weekend night awards.
In this post, I wanted to dig deeper into how these benefits work, especially given the added flexibility these rewards currently offer in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.
What is the difference between Hilton Credit Cards?
There are four Hilton credit cards issued by American Express, three of which even offer new, best yet, bonuses:
- The no annual fee (prices & fees) American Express Hilton Honors Card offers a welcome bonus of 100,000 Honors Points after you spend $ 1,000 within three months, and $ 100 credit after your first purchases within the same period; Read a review here
- The annual fee of $ 95 (Prices & Fees) Hilton honors American Express Surpass® map Offers a welcome bonus of 150,000 Honors Points after you spend $ 2,000 within three months and $ 150 in credit after your first purchases within the same period; Read a review here
- The annual fee of $ 95 (Prices & Fees) Hilton honors American Express business card Offers a welcome bonus of 150,000 Honors Points after you spend $ 2,000 within three months and $ 150 in credit after your first purchases within the same period; Read a review here
- The annual fee of $ 450 (pricing and fees) Hilton honors American Express Aspire Card Offers 150,000 Honors Points Welcome Bonus after $ 4,000 has been spent within three months; Read a review here
Redeem your certificate at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam
Which Hilton Credit Cards Offer Free Night Rewards?
There are three Hilton credit cards you can use to earn free weekend night rewards (on top of all other great perks, including Hilton Honors status):
Weekend Hilton Aspire Card Reward
The Hilton Aspire Card offers up to two free weekend night awards each year:
- You are given one every year just to have the card, including the year you open the card
- Get one if you spend $ 60,000 on the card in a calendar year
Reward for the Hilton Surpass Card at the weekend
The Hilton Surpass Card Offers a free weekend night reward when you spend $ 15,000 on the card in a calendar year.
Hilton Business Card Weekend Night Reward
The Hilton business card offers up to two free weekend night awards each year:
- Get one if you spend $ 15,000 on the card in a calendar year
- Get one if you spend $ 60,000 on the card in a calendar year
Can you purchase Hilton Certificates for Free Night Awards with multiple cards?
You sure can. In theory, you could have all three Hilton credit cards that offer free nightly allowances and you could earn up to five of them on your account per year on qualifying expenses. Note that you are also entitled to the welcome bonuses for each of these cards.
Redeem your certificate at the Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos
How quickly are weekend night awards posted to your account?
In all cases, the weekend night rewards will be posted within 8 to 12 weeks of earning:
- With these weekend night rewards earned through spending, expect the certificates to be deposited in your account 8-12 weeks after the spending threshold is reached
- In case of Hilton Aspire Card Expect the annual certificate to be released within 8-12 weeks of your anniversary (and within 8-12 weeks of opening the card for the first year).
Which nights do weekend night awards apply to?
In the past, Hilton Weekend Night Certificates can be redeemed for stays on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. However, given current circumstances, rewards issued until December 31, 2021 can be redeemed for any night of the week.
This offers fantastic flexibility that you wouldn’t get otherwise.
Redeem your certificate at Waldorf Astoria Monarch Beach
How long are weekend night awards valid?
Generally, Hilton Weekend Night Certificates are valid for 12 months from the date they are issued. However, taking into account the current circumstances, all certificates issued between January 1 and December 31, 2021 are valid until December 31, 2022.
This potentially gives you quite a bit of extra validity, on top of the lack of weekday restrictions that you can redeem.
In which hotels can Hilton Weekend Night Certificates be redeemed?
The free night certificate is valid for practically all accommodations in which standard award redemptions are possible, for accommodations that cost up to 120,000 points per night. In particular, Hilton Weekend Night Certificates are valid at all hotels except a few dozen, most of which are All Inclusive or Hilton Grand Vacation Hotels.
Most of the properties that you wish to redeem on are eligible for this certificate.
Redeem your certificate at Conrad London
How do you redeem weekend night certificates?
After the authorized activity, you will receive an email with the certificate for the weekend night. This email contains a code. You will then need to call Hilton at 1-800-446-6677 to book. It’s okay if you don’t have the code when you call. The telephone agents should be able to look it up using your Hilton Honors account number.
It would be nice if it were possible to make these bookings online and not over the phone. On the other hand, I generally find this benefit so generous that I won’t complain.
But I don’t want to go to a great hotel for just one night ?!
What is the value of a single certificate for a free night for redemption in a remote, sophisticated property? Most people won’t go to Bora Bora, Maldives, etc for one night … and neither should they. There are two ways to do this.
Redeem your certificate at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives
One option is to use the free night’s certificate as part of an extended stay. In other words, if you book a few nights’ stay at one of these hotels (either with cash, points, or a combination of both), you can add an extra night to your stay with this certificate.
Remember, you can purchase multiple of these certificates too, so you can potentially use them for consecutive nights in the same hotel, which could make for a great extended weekend getaway.
Alternatively, there are many good city hotels where you can redeem this certificate. This is an area that Hilton is getting better at as the Waldorf Astoria and Conrad portfolios continue to grow.
From the Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills to the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam, and from Conrad London to Conrad Hong Kong, there are so many great city hotels to choose from (once the borders are fully open again).
These are just a few examples. The point is, there are plenty of fantastic city hotels that are great for redeeming a weekend night closer to home (or closer to major cities).
Redeem your certificate at the Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills
American Express and Hilton have a great portfolio of credit cards, and the weekend night rewards are some of my favorite perks:
- The Hilton Aspire Card offers one every year just to have the card that more than justifies the annual fee for many and for itself
- For the Hilton Surpass Card and Hilton business cardI think it can be worth spending $ 15,000 on the cards each year to get an anniversary certificate for a free night
For those who receive a Hilton Weekend Night Reward, will you benefit from the added flexibility in terms of expiration dates and days of the week they can be used? How did you redeem these certificates?
The following links will take you to the prices and fees for the American Express cards mentioned. These include: Hilton Honors American Express Card Rates and Fees, Hilton Honors American Express Business Card Rates and Fees, Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card rates and fees and Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card rates and fees.