I recently wrote a comparison of the Hilton honors American Express Surpass® map (Review) and the Hilton honors American Express business card (Rating), which are Amex’s Hilton Honors credit cards.
In this post I wanted to look at one particular aspect of these cards that might be worth spending your money on. In particular, does it make sense to spend $ 15,000 annually on these Hilton cards for a weekend night reward? I’ll focus on the Surpass card so I can compare it to other personal credit cards, although you can enter the numbers for the business version of the card in a similar way.
Hilton Honors Surpass & Business Card Bonus
Both Hilton cards currently offer phenomenally increased bonuses that can be used to earn both Hilton Honors Points and bank statement credits:
- The Hilton Surpass Card offers a welcome bonus of 150,000 Hilton Honors Points after you spend $ 2,000 within three months and a statement balance of $ 150 after your first purchase within the same period
- The Hilton business card offers a welcome bonus of 150,000 Hilton Honors Points after you spend $ 2,000 within three months and a statement balance of $ 150 after your first purchase within the same period
Redeem your Hilton Honors points at Conrad Bora Bora
In addition, the cards offer many great benefits, such as the Hilton Honors Gold status.
Basics of the Hilton Surpass Weekend Night Reward
The Hilton Surpass Card offers a weekend night reward when you spend $ 15,000 on the card in a calendar year. This will be added to your account 8-12 weeks after the Eligible Spend has been completed, rather than at the end of the calendar year. This certificate can be redeemed at most Hilton hotels and there is only a very small list of excluded hotels.
The certificate is usually valid for one year from the date of issue. As long as a standard room is available on a weekend (including Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings), you should be able to redeem it. Standard Hilton Rooms cost up to 120,000 points per night, so that is possibly the maximum value you can get out of that.
Note that these certificates are currently even more flexible than ever before:
- Unexpired and new Free Night Awards issued by December 31, 2021 can be used for stays any night of the week, not just weekends
- New Free Night Awards issued between January 1 and December 31, 2021 are valid through December 31, 2022
Factors To Consider When Spending $ 15,000
To decide if it’s worth spending $ 15,000 on the money Hilton Surpass CardYou need to decide how much you value the certificate and what the opportunity cost of that expense is.
The return on spending with the Hilton Surpass Card is:
Let’s say you were to spend that money in no bonus categories because if you maximize your credit card strategy, that is where the opportunity cost is the lowest.
Spending $ 15,000 on any of these cards in no bonus categories gives you:
- 45,000 Hilton Honors Points
- A weekend night reward valid in a hotel retail store for up to 120,000 points per night
This is potentially a return of up to 165,000 Honors Points, or 11 Honors Points per dollar spent.
But that is an unfair assessment. You shouldn’t rate the reward at 120,000 points because:
- There are only two Hilton hotels that cost 120,000 points per night (the Waldorf Astoria Maldives and the Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal) while other hotels score 95,000 points per night
- The reward has a flow, so you have a limited window of time to use it
- To maximize this certificate, you would have to redeem it in the most expensive hotels, which greatly reduces flexibility in terms of where to redeem it
- You can usually only redeem for weekend stays
Redeem your weekend night reward at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives
You will earn a maximum of 165,000 Honors Points valued at $ 15,000. This is not a fair, objective evaluation, although it is possible that you will receive as much value.
Perhaps it would be more realistic to offer a discount on this certificate due to the restrictions. To keep things simple, perhaps we should say instead that the certificate is worth 75,000 points, which I think is a fair rating for an “average” traveler. If your math is different, you can enter these numbers.
This would mean your total return on these expenses would be 120,000 points, which is roughly eight Honors points for every dollar spent. I estimate Honors Points at ~ 0.5 cents each, which equates to a return of ~ 4%. That is excellent.
Allocation of the annual fee for the Surpass Card
The Hilton Surpass Card has an annual fee of $ 95 (Pricing & Fees) and you need to decide how you want to allocate this.
In other words, do you just keep this card to get the weekend night reward, or do you benefit from Hilton Honors Gold status, 10 Priority Pass visits per year, and more? For example:
Do you appreciate the Priority Pass benefit of the Surpass Card?
In your situation, you need to decide how much of that fee to use for this benefit.
Opportunity cost of spending
Check out my post on the best credit cards for everyday spending:
In either case, there are some constraints on that return on investment that it doesn’t necessarily have to be this high for everyone.
I would like to provide a straightforward answer as to whether it is worth spending the money for the money Hilton Surpass Card There is no single answer to earning a weekend night reward.
I want to encourage everyone to do the math based on the following:
- What you rate from Hilton Honors Points is
- How much you appreciate the weekend night reward, given the limitations
- Otherwise, whether or not you had the card; If you had the card even without that card, you wouldn’t have to do the math with the annual fee of $ 95, while otherwise you would have to subtract the annual fee from what you think is worth
To give some general advice:
- If you only apply for this card and still need to spend a certain amount on the card to receive the bonus, it is definitely worth spending $ 15,000
- If you have this card anyway, I think it’s definitely worth spending $ 15,000 a year on the card
- If you’ve only got the card to earn the Free Weekend Night Reward and don’t appreciate any of the other perks then it’s pretty close to breakeven in my opinion, depending on your rating of various things
Redeem your weekend night reward at the Waldorf Astoria Park City
I am curious how you are. Is it worth spending $ 15,000 on the Hilton Honors Surpass Card to get a free weekend night reward every year?
The following links will take you to the prices and fees for the American Express cards mentioned. These include: Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Map (prices & fees).